1. Although mother’s day is a relatively new holiday in America, more and more other countries are also setting aside a day to honor their mothers.
2. No longer was she so gentle, so relaxed and easy-going.
3. Some people think that man might be able to solve both problems at the same time.
4. Sometimes what people say hides their real meaning.
5. The minute you spend thinking about the real meaning of what people say to you may save another mistake.
6. Contrary to popular belief, colds are not caused by exposure to severe weather.
7. The custom can be traced back to the roman era.
8. A more common belief is tips were first given in the 18th century England.
9. In America and Europe it is customary to tip anywhere from 10% to 20%.
10. Today most people decide the size of tip according to the quality of the service.
11. People who usually cannot afford it are the biggest tippers in front of their friends.
12. Many analysts suggest that this added pressure disproportionately touches the women, who already carry major responsibility for their own children.
13. Perhaps the most important issue that emerges from the social trends just described is the impact of family instability and single parenting on children.
14. When this happens, the government should decrease the salaries of the workers by raising taxes.
15. While this might appear to be a positive step, it is actually regressive.
16. While this law is not without humor by today’s standards, it clearly shows an awareness of the problem in times gone by.
17. the motives for suicide can be categorized into areas such as failure, wrath(暴怒), the need for attention, stress, and so on.
18. To make the problem even more involved, people will often camouflage(掩蓋)their true feelings, thus causing their friends to disregard problems that should be viewed as serious.
19. Henry’s goal was to design and equip vessels that would be capable of making long ocean voyages without having to hug the shore.
20. Coal was one of the first minerals to be mined on a big scale, to provide fuel for heating homes.
21. During this time the selling price, and so profits, will go up and down depending on world demand.
22. Many of us believe that a person’s mind becomes less active as he grows older.
23. This means that it took them longer to accomplish mental tasks than it used to.
24. For example, the older person perhaps had trouble hearing, or poor vision, or inattention, or was trying to learn the new thing at too fast a pace.
25. Not only was the shop a center of buying and selling, but also a social meeting place.
26. He will have to give advice and make decisions as problems arise, and he must know how to get his huge staff to work efficiently with their respective responsibilities.
27. Numerous studies have now shown that the overwhelming majority of colds are “caught” by hand contact.